If you ever catch yourself looking in the mirror wondering when the signs of aging decided to take up residence on your face, you’re not alone. With time, aging gets the best of us and leads to the formation of tiny lines and wrinkles, thanks to the breakdown of collagen and elastin, repeated muscle movements, and excessive sun and pollution damage. But rather than letting the effects of time get the best of you, Botox can help smooth things out. The best Botox injection sites are the ones where you see the most difference in your face and skin to provide a softening effect of what may be bothering you. Since understanding all the appropriate Botox injection sites can be tricky, consider this your guide on where the treatment works the best so you can reap the benefits.
What is Botox?
Botox is a neurotoxin that is safe and well-studied. Botox, and all other neuromodulators, work by blocking the signals sent by the nerves to the facial muscles that tell them to move. When these nerves can’t communicate with the muscles, the muscles are limited in movement, and wrinkles and fine lines are decreased.
Even though Botox is derived from a specific type of bacteria found in botulism, it is a safe and effective way to weaken the nerves, providing anti-aging benefits. When injected into targeted Botox injection sites on the face, the muscles are temporarily weakened, leading to smoother skin.
The Best Areas for Botox
There are plenty of suitable places for Botox to be injected so that you can achieve the results you’re looking for. Botox injection sites on the face often consist of specific target areas where muscle movement is most active. Some of the most popular Botox injection sites include:
- The forehead
- Between the eyebrows (the “11s”)
- Above the eyebrows
- Crow’s feet
- Bunny lines (sides of the nose)
- Dimpled chin
- Smile lines (corners of the mouth)
- Above the lips
- The neck
- The back of the jaw
- Under the eyes
- Around the mouth
- The chin
Best Injection Sites for Wrinkles
While there are many desirable areas on the face to treat with Botox, some of the best Botox injection sites include the upper face, specifically the forehead, between the eyebrows, and the outer corners of the eyes. Pretty much anywhere where wrinkles are caused by repeated facial movements can be treated with Botox for temporary improvement.
At Charette Cosmetics, our most popular Botox injection sites where patients notice substantial improvement and maintain their results include:
- Between the eyebrows: The area between the eyebrows, technically known as the 11s or glabella lines, can create small to large etched-in vertical lines that give way to a tired, mad, or angry look. The skin between the eyebrows can also look unsmooth and rough when deep wrinkles are present. Treating this area with Botox effectively smoothes out the lines for a more rejuvenated and relaxed appearance.
- The forehead: Forehead lines become deeper wrinkles with age. Some people have a few short wrinkles and lines on the forehead, while others see them stretching from one side of the forehead and across the middle to the other side. Botox forehead injection sites, which span the entire forehead or just a select area, can help soften these lines, which often give way to a worried or confused appearance. Since the forehead contains active muscles, it’s likely for these lines to develop in naturally expressive people, but they can also result from genetic aging, sun damage, pollution, and smoking.
- The chin: Like other areas of the face, as we age, the muscles in the chin become overused. To improve a dimpled or puckered appearance and skin that resembles an orange peel, chin Botox injections can help smooth the area so that the chin looks smoother. Treating the chin area with Botox also helps makeup go on more smoothly and look more even.
Where Should Botox Not Be Injected?
The best injection sites for Botox are well-studied and commonly used. Even though there are muscles throughout the face, not every muscle is fair game for Botox injections, and injecting it into the wrong areas can cause more problems than you might expect. Certain areas should be avoided at all costs and not injected with Botox since they are considered danger zones and can cause complications. We highly recommend a consultation with our team to ensure that an area of concern is appropriate to treat with Botox instead of filler or another aesthetic treatment or modality.